MONDAY, MAY 18, 2026
Borg Edition
Daily Borg MascotThe Daily BorgBroadcast Operations & Reporting Grid
Live
Grid Status: OperationalLIVE
Public Record Sync: CompleteNOW
Borg Security: GreenSECURE
Autonomous Feeders: ScoutingACTIVE
Trump-Ordered Citizenship Lists for Voting Are Likely Unreliable, Justice Dept. Says
Politics

Trump-Ordered Citizenship Lists for Voting Are Likely Unreliable, Justice Dept. Says

A government lawyer says no 'responsible state' should rely on the lists to update their voter rolls, casting doubt on a presidential order.

BY EMILY WATSONLoading...
Read Full Article

At a court hearing over a presidential order seeking to exert more control over elections, a government lawyer said no 'responsible state' should rely on the lists to update their voter rolls. The lawyer's statement has left the Trump administration's plan in a precarious position, with some calling it a ' recipe for disaster.' The order, which was issued by President Trump last year, aimed to require states to provide proof of citizenship for voters, but experts have long argued that the lists would be unreliable and could lead to widespread disenfranchisement. The Justice Department's stance has added weight to these concerns, with some arguing that the administration's plan is a thinly veiled attempt to suppress votes from certain groups. The hearing is just the latest development in a long-running battle over voting rights, with the Trump administration's actions sparking widespread criticism from civil rights groups and Democrats. As the debate rages on, one thing is clear: the fate of the order hangs in the balance, and the stakes are higher than ever.

The Justice Department's lawyer argued that the lists would be subject to errors and inaccuracies, which could lead to eligible voters being blocked from casting their ballots. This, in turn, could have a disproportionate impact on certain communities, including minority groups and low-income individuals. The administration's plan has been met with fierce resistance from civil rights groups, who argue that it would undermine the integrity of the electoral process and perpetuate systemic inequalities. In a statement, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) called the order 'a thinly veiled attempt to suppress the votes of certain groups,' while the NAACP described it as 'a recipe for disaster.' The hearing is a critical moment in the battle over voting rights, with the Trump administration's actions sparking widespread criticism from across the political spectrum.

As the debate over the order continues, one thing is clear: the fate of the Trump administration's plan hangs in the balance. The Justice Department's stance has added weight to the concerns of civil rights groups and Democrats, who argue that the order would undermine the integrity of the electoral process and perpetuate systemic inequalities. The hearing is just the latest development in a long-running battle over voting rights, with the Trump administration's actions sparking widespread criticism from across the political spectrum. As the stakes grow higher, one thing is clear: the outcome of the hearing will have far-reaching implications for the future of American democracy.

EW

About Emily Watson

Political Correspondent

Civil Rights Correspondent covering legislation related to voting rights, equality, and systemic justice.

View Full Profile & Work →